Sunday, March 4, 2012

March's Featured Artist: Cathy Rycroft

This month our featured artist in the gift shop is Cathy Rycroft whose work adorns a variety of non-traditional mediums not usually associated with 2D painting.
As you look around the display you'll notice that her incredible lifelike animal portraits are framed on stone and wood slices. One amazing piece figures a cougar on a semi-translucent moss-agate-like slab.


Cathy generously answered some questions for us on the blog. Read on!


How long have you been an artist?
I have been painting for over 25 years.

Do you work in a studio or at home?
I have always painted at home having a studio in home is the best solution to a busy life, I can go up to the studio and everything is layed out and ready to go.

Do you work as an artist full-time, part-time, or do you squeeze in the creating as a hobby?
I stay busy with commission works most of the year so try to paint for 1-2 hours every day.

What's your favourite piece to make?
My paintings on stone and wood burls are some of my favourite pieces as I prepare the stones and wood myself and enjoy working with the natural materials, then I take some time looking at the piece and kind of let it's size shape and color help me to decide what I will paint on it.

Who inspires you, and why?
My love of horses and nature inspire most of my artwork. I love all sorts of art and have a real appreciation for the work that goes into all forms of art. I am inspired by many artists and the list grows larger all the time; from the masters to today's newest artists, each one shows a person who has taken time from their busy life to sit down and focus their energy on a piece of work that will be seen by many and criticised by some. That is courage !!!!

 

No comments: