Sunday, July 8, 2012

July's Featured Artist: Valerie Simons



This month the work of Valerie Simons is featured in the gift shop. It's a very timely feature because not only does Valerie work hard as our society president but her paintings fit nicely in with this summer's Staycation blog theme. With local views to remind of summer days in and around Port Moody, these would make amazing hostess gifts or mementoes for seasonal gifting.

Read more about the artist, in her own words ...




  • How long have you been an artist?In my mind…all my life.  In reality…about 6 years.
          
  • Where did you train?  Primarily self-taught.
  • Do you work in a studio or at home? 
    At home.
  • Do you work as an artist full-time, part-time, or do you squeeze in the creating as a hobby? 
    Squeezed in as a hobby, as time permits and as inspiration strikes.
  • Describe how a piece progresses, from first inspiration to finished object in the gift shop.  My pieces generally start with a photograph of an inspiring scene that I am fortunate enough to stumble upon with camera in hand.  The photo provides good reference for colour, shadow and light as the pieces usually have a slow progression in my non-studio environment.
  • What's your favourite piece to make
    Local scenery is a favourite, although abstract and mixed media hold a particular fascination for me.  I generally work in a smaller format (6x6 to 12x24) primarily due to lack of working space.
  • Who inspires you, and why?
    I am inspired by positive spirit and creative energy.  Fortunately for me there is an abundance of that in my personal and social environment.  But my primary inspiration comes from the quiet moments of awe and wonder that our natural environment provides in abundance. 


  • No comments: