Saturday, October 6, 2012

October's Featured Artist: Valerie Gilbert



This month's featured artist is Valerie Gilbert, one of Blackberry's three paper artists. Valerie's work comprises intricately folded papers framed in a reverse silhouette - she describes the technique as iris folding and she is an expert. Her work is available in some truly unique cards, which incidentally make great hostess gifts when you want to be extra-appreciative, and beautiful framed works.
  • How long have you been an artist? 3 1/2 years
  • Where did you train? Self-taught
  • Do you work in a studio or at home? At home
  • Do you work as an artist full-time, part-time, or do you squeeze in the creating as a hobby? Full time (when I'm not volunteering or doing shows)
  • Describe how a piece progresses, from first inspiration to finished object in the gift shop. I draw the design, cut out with a straight edge knife, then select papers that I hope will work together. I cut strips of the paper, fold them and then create the design (hopefully it looks good!)
  • What's your favourite piece to make? Probably the Kimono
  • Who inspires you, and why? I think the customer - when I am at shows and hear the positive comments, it feels good and I want to do more!

No comments: